As we step into the month of June 2023, the region gears up for an array of exciting events and activities that are sure to captivate visitors and locals alike. From outdoor adventures to cultural celebrations, here are ten things happening in the Forest of Dean & Wye Valley this June that you won’t want to miss!
- On June 3, join Andy Robertson, aka Professor Pastry to learn how to make delicious sourdough artisan bread at Harts Barn Cookery School. They offer several cookery courses throughout the year and full details can be found on their website.
- Why not try your hand at throwing on a Potter’s Wheel Day Course at Eastnor Pottery. There is currently availability on June 3, 4 & 28.
- On Friday June 9, you could weave a willow garden trug in a willow basket making course with Amanda at Humble by Nature.
- New Sculptures at the Sculpture Trial – On June 10, this free event kicks off with local brass band Forest of Dean Brass who will be playing from 12-1pm next to ‘Meander’, by Kristina Veasey, and then join us as we walk up to the site of our newest sculpture ‘Gathering’, by Julian Wild. Find out more on their website.
- Join our Wildlife Safari with Ed Drewitt on June 10. You can read more about our wildlife safaris here, or book direct.
- On June 10 & 21, learn how to fire and drive a steam locomotive with Dean Forest Railway. Join their Steam Driving Footplate Experience here.
- The first annual Royal Forest Show takes place on Saturday 17th June, 11am – 5pm. There will be entertainment, animals, demonstrations and food. Hari will be there with her alcohol free bar, NoLo Bars. The event will take place on the field at The Speech House Hotel, Speech House Road, Coleford GL16 7EL. For more information visit here.
- Try Deep Level Caving at Clearwell Caves on June 17th. Go deep under the Forest, visiting this labyrinth of over 250 acres of passageways and caverns. Walk, crawl, slither and clamber your way down to over 200ft (62m) underground; you will be caving through natural and mined features. To book visit their website.
- Join Carina Greenwood for Forest Bathing on June 28 from 10am-3pm. Forest Bathing, is a slow walking activity and is a literal translation from the Japanese Shinrin- Yoku, meaning Forest Bath. It prioritizes sensory experiences over intellectual ones and is designed to be pleasurable and relaxing. For more information click here.
- Get ready to party All Night Long as international pop legend Lionel Richie is heading to Chepstow Racecourse on Friday 30th June as part of a weekend of special gigs! Lionel will be supported by Sugababes, Gabrielle, and Kevin Davy White. For tickets visit their website.
If none of these have captured your imagination, there is always the walking & cycling available in the Forest of Dean, or you could take to the river. To combine any of these activities with a stay, visit our stay page to find out more about our rooms & suites.