The school summer holidays are here, and despite the weather there are great events and activities in the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley. From music to outdoor adventures, here are ten things happening in the Forest of Dean & Wye Valley this August that you won’t want to miss!
- Through to September 3rd at Clearwell Caves, you have a chance to see a retrospective exhibition of Peter Horrocks works. This is a unique opportunity to see Peter’s extraordinary works displayed in the place where the pigments came from. Some of the artist’s tools techniques and processes will also be on show.
- At Nature in Art through to September 3rd you will have a chance to see one of the very first showings of the winning images from the 2023 British Wildlife Photography Awards competition, launched in March. This renowned exhibition celebrates British wildlife and wild spaces through a collection of inspirational images, showcasing the best of our natural heritage.
- Want the kids to be active this summer? Why not try one of the Summer Laser Tag Sessions at BattleSports Gloucestershire? 1 hour of adrenaline fuelled games played on their multi-acre battlefield and suitable for all aged 7 upwards. It’s also next door to the Forest of Dean Adventure Golf and the Elton Maize Maze so you can make a day of it.
- Increase your health and wellbeing with forest bathing courses by Carina on select dates in August including the 4th, 12th and 28th. Forest Bathing, is a slow walking activity and is a literal translation from the Japanese Shinrin- Yoku, meaning Forest Bath. It prioritizes sensory experiences over intellectual ones and is designed to be pleasurable and relaxing. Book on the Forest Bathe website.
- On August 12 & 13, Monmouth will be celebrating Henry Fest. This will be a fun and engaging weekend filled with displays, activities, entertainment and much more in Monmouth, the birthplace of Henry V, in the 600th anniversary year of his death. For more information, visit their website.
- From August 18-20, visit Art in Penallt. It is a three day event, featuring local and international artists and makers, held at Humble by Nature in Penallt, near Monmouth. You will find fine Art, indoor & outdoor sculpture, wood, photography, glass, ceramics and more.
- Join our Wildlife Safari with Ed Drewitt on August 19. You can read more about our wildlife safaris here, or book direct.
- On August 19, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds come to Caldicot Castle.
- On Sunday August 20, Monmouthshire Show is a much-loved, one day, agricultural Show. With Main Ring entertainment such as the Extreme Mountain Bike Show and Scurry, side attractions like the Mini Pony Show and BubbleMan plus Livestock, tradestands, food festival, crafts, home & garden classes, fun dog show, music and so much more. A great day out for everyone!
- Enjoy the artwork and plant life at the Wye Valley Sculpture Garden during their open days on August 26-28. It is a 3 acre garden set on the gentle slopes of the Wye Valley. Garden designed and showcasing mixed media sculptures by Gemma Kate Wood.
If none of these have captured your imagination, then August is still a great month to head for the river and give canoeing or paddle boarding a go. To combine any of these activities with a stay, visit our stay page to find out more about our rooms & suites.